22 Oct 2015

Shimmering Chimes by Reviewed by Kumarendra Mallick




Poetry, says the legendary poet William Wordsworth, is an overflow of powerful feelings. I shall beg to differ from the master with due respect and say ‘Poetry is a shimmering Chime’, the music and the rhythm emanating from the heart. Poetry, it is said, one must enjoy before understanding it. I agree with this view point. All the sixty lovely poems in Shimmering Chime of Maaya Dev I have enjoyed before understanding the deep philosophical undercurrent of the sea she has created in it.

When Maaya asked me if I shall be interested to review her anthology Shimmering Chimes, I agreed for two reasons, first, I consider it an honour and second, I shall get a chance to read the works of an upcoming poet.

In order to review a book of verses one need to consider the poet to be a bundle of poems, for the moonlight that reaches the earth often pass through the cloud! The poet and the poems can’t be separated. The mind is just a bundle of thoughts.

Maaya’s canvas is very vast; her first poem, Hare Krishna, carries the shades of the blue sky. Her brush picks up the same tone again in Krishna, My Lord… (p.60) and Sat Chit Ananda … Bliss (p.62). With this I don’t conclude that the anthology is replete with devotional themes. Her pendulum swings between divine and sensual. Imagination builds images and the poet can view beyond the unseen.

Maaya wakes up to this reality in her poem, The Awakening and sings,
Embrace of the unknown
From the womb of mystery
Search for unseen from seen
And from finite to infinite

Even the silhouette of Maaya’s creation is enchanting. Her ‘smirk conceals on the curve of her lips.’ In Divine Silhouette the poet hears ‘melodies in nightingale’s cadence.’ In Love of My love the poet spills the secret,
I clasp your breath
under inner flame
that torches dimness
of unfamiliar sparks

The poet has an inner ear to hear the silence, ‘Under my saddled feelings/I stay as midnight silence (Escaping Ebony). She gets fearless while giving birth to her creation; in Birth of a Poem she confides,

Amid an intense silence
I embraced my desires slyly
swaying away fears aside

The poet glorifies womanhood. Her characters are charismatic, brave, mystic and forever a ‘smoking ember burning, giving and forgiving’ (A Living Enigma’. Maaya is very fond of this land, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari. She carries a positive vive and is ever hopeful of reaching the sky,
Beyond my reach
Lay a world of dreams.
My arms fall short.
Yet they try to reach
To grab those glitters

Yes Maaya, you shall one day win all the hearts, nationally and internationally.



No comments: